Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Project Islam: Day 1: "Don't Judge"

First of all I should explain what Project Islam is. I was assigned a week ago by my Ethnic Studies professor to choose an ethnicity, a cultural set, a disability, or religion to 'become' for one entire school week, and to make it as authentic as I wanted or was possible. Initially I planned to go around campus in a wheelchair. This would prove to be especially difficult since the building I live in does not have an elevator, and I live on the third floor. However, I was unable to acquire a wheelchair in time, so at the last minute I chose to spend the week as a Muslim, practicing Islam.
I assumed of course that this might be a particularly risky route to take, simply because of the bias and fear surrounding Islam and the Muslim people because of 9/11 and the Taliban. I won't say I wasn't, and still am, extremely nervous about the reactions and actions of fellow students on campus. The first morning, I barely wanted to leave the dorm building. I was afraid of being cornered, challenged, or worse.
I decided, as I often do, to go all-out. I learned how to wear a hiijab, the headscarf worn by Muslim women, which much to my surprise I've already mastered! I wear long sleeve shirts, and long skirts to properly cover myself, and I avoid eye/body contact with men, eat only foods which aren't pasteurized, processed, or contain unnatural sugars or preservatives. I won't be able to pray until Wednesday however, and this is because women who are menstruating aren't permitted to pray, and must wait twelve hours after their last period to take a ritual cleansing bath. Only after these 12 hours and the ritual are they allowed to pray again. So tonight I will take that bath, just in time for the evening prayer at nine o'clock. I'll wake up again at midnight, and will continue the cycle at seven, noon, five, and nine the following days, through Friday night.
The first day brought a lot of stares. This was one of the toughest things for me, because I absolutely hate to be stared at. It's not to say I wasn't expecting it, but I hated it still. I had the thought that maybe, besides the hiijab, maybe one of the reasons people are so uncomfortable is because I am white. Maybe they recognize me and wonder if I went through a radical Muslim conversion. Nobody's asked me about it yet, and I highly doubt anyone will.
Another difficult part is the hunger. I'm so used to eating a lot of food, food not necessarily good for me, and I drink pop quite often. I consider myself in good health, and exercise daily, but this is somethng completely new. I'm existing on fruit and vegetables, and plain chicken I can only eat if it's been blessed, which so far my father has done for me. I ate a whole plain potato yesterday with supper. I can't have coffee, which I've become pretty dependant on. I could drink it, but only if it's black, because both the creamer I use and either sugar or Splenda are forbidden, because of pasteurization. I'm also allowed white bread, and I'm not sure why because I always assumed it was more processed than wheat bread. But I can't have wheat germ, so wheat products are forbidden. There was a guy behind me in my second class who apparently whispered something about me as I sat down. This is a class where I'm made fun of almost on a regular basis, even when I'm dressed as I usually am. Anyway, he said something which I didn't hear. What I did hear, however, was a girl behind me who said back, "Hey, don't judge." This was the first verbal confrontation I'd had about it, and I was grateful for the girl, but didn't have the courage to turn around.
It sounds funny, but it's really hard not looking at men. The only man I'm permitted to touch or look in the eye is my father (or my husband, but I don't have one of those!). I only have two male professors, but when they speak to me I have to look just over their shoulder; the same with other men who talk to me, which hasn't been too many.
I'm also not permitted to raise my voice, which I do on a regular basis, but usually out of enthusiasm. I've broken that rule so many times already.
Anyways, kids, that's all for now. I'll be checking in every day this week with more. Wish me luck!
Blessings from Allah,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment