Monday, November 8, 2010

Friction

You've probably never known that I worry for you
I worry that the world will not see the genius behind
the pillow-hair and the half-naked charges through the house.
I'm afraid of the other children that won't play with you
Just because you might know the Latin name for every fish in the sea.

The world is cruel to creative souls, and this I've seen firsthand
Many times myself.
There are those who will say, no,  you musn't draw sharks on your homework
Or, speak up child, and stop all this nonsense about your pet T-Rex.
I know you're afraid to go to school every day, and that you draw frowns on every
Self-portrait.

But from one Carpe Diem-ist to the other,  I say GO FOR IT!
I'll still be here to listen to how you and that basset hound Molly
Flew to Mars and made peace with the pink raptors
And I'll make sure that when you ask for chocolate milk,
It's the organic kind, and that there's a really cool bendy straw in it
Green, of course.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for making a difference in the world by being there to listen and offer encouragement! They made fun of Elvis, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. creativity is stifled by those that want to draw a square box and put you inside. kick the sides out and go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can well identify with this post. I've been there as a mom and now as a grandma. Hang in there and counter-balance the world for your misunderstood, creative, wonderful, amazing child.

    ReplyDelete