Saturday, July 21, 2012

Elvis and the Night

Fireflies

And velvet skies

And a soul crying out

For redemption.

I drove home fast

And I flew down gravel roads

Til I found the perfect place;

An empty field.

My silver lady on wheels

Carried me right into the center

And I stopped, turned off all my lights,

And turned on the music.

Elvis Presley, reinvented

Backed by electric guitars

And extra drums, singing a song

I knew by heart but loved like this

Even more.

The speakers shook

The car rattled til I thought

The 19-year-old Crown Vic would just

Lay down and die.

I sang every word as loud as I could

Screaming to hear myself over the King

Laughing too, because my heart seemed so light

So carefree, so liberated, so happy

In the pulsating blanket of night.

I almost cried it felt so good

And I drove home for real this time

With a smile on my face

Because no matter what the days bring

I’ve got Elvis

And I’ve got the Night.




No comments:

Post a Comment