Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The Cougar Club

Hairspray
Rouge
Too much lipstick, painted on thick like paint
Reaching fingers, fire-engine red
200 of them, crammed, pushing, fighting, screaming
Must get closer, must get closer
He’s mine, he’s mine
So much sweat and polyester
Drawn-on eyebrows marching like fat brown caterpillars
Rhinestones cover anything that stands still
Shouting, grasping, oooh she got it first I’ll kill her!
Each one certain she’s the favorite
They just want a piece just one little token
Like vultures to a dead zebra
Picking, picking
Yum yum, swallow, repeat
Eating it all up never caring if someone gets pushed down
Their loss, oh well, I got another teddy bear, another scarf!
I’ve been to 50 shows, you know, oh yes practically family!
Aren’t his children darling? Then offers to babysit when all they want
Is stories to tell their friends.
Vultures to the dead,
Birds of prey to the lifeless meat,
Closer in, closer in, their lipstick leaves stains on his cheek
Talons stroke the polyester, maybe pinching, always laughing
Oh excuse me but I must get another picture, I’ve only got
347 at home, and of course my husband doesn’t mind that I spend
Our whole retirement fund following that gorgeous young thing around
The country because after all,
I’m his biggest fan.

1 comment: