Friday, July 15, 2011

Just a Thought

I had the pleasure last night to be in the company of some of my favorite people in the world. There were my parents of course, my best friend, her mom, and a family of beautiful souls that I've known for almost two years (come this November). I won't name them, for the sake of privacy, but I will say this: it is still extraordinary to me every time we meet just how kind, enthusiastic, and generous these people are. They have every right to be cool, distant, and haughty, boastful of the talent contained in their one family. But they're not. They treat everybody like family, and pay special attention to the people that they feel need a little extra love in their lives. I'm friends with not only the son, but the father, mother, at least one sister, and even their 'bodyguard' and his wife. We share a love of music, of a specific love for Elvis, and the need and capacity for laughter. I've seen Joseph perform the songs of Elvis more than ten times now, and I am still blown away every time. I've watched him grow in his talent for and his love of the legacy that is Elvis, and I'm proud of him, proud as if he was a part of my own family. But I suppose in a way, that's how it's gotten to be. Some of my best memories of the past year have been eating, talking, singing, and laughing with him and his family, and getting a glimpse of the young man behind all the hoopla and spiffy costumes. My favorite thing about these people is how real they are. I love the fact that I've eaten ice cream with Joseph's parents, that I've made Joseph himself so happy he's speechless (which is NOT an easy thing to do), and I love the fact that he found me special enough to sing my favorite Elvis song right to me, when there were so many other people in the room vying for his attention. Kiss after kiss, hug after hug, song after song, this family remains near and dear in my heart, and it'll be a blessing to see them again after so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment