Sunday, May 15, 2011

Surrender

You tell me to
Dress myself, pretty myself,
Wear my hair long, just like
Everyone else.

Don't eat! Don't you dare!
And what are you doing, listening
to that?
THIS
is what we listen to.
You like it. You do.

Forget your books and
Your journals, forget
Your great relationship with
Your mom.
Be angry, be distant, live
Your world through TV
and Ipod and computer
Screens.
Never lift your eyes to the sky
And wonder.

You're weird. You're different.
Boys will never want you, because
You're not pretty enough, not cool enough,
Not SAME enough.

Guess what world?
I'm not listening to you.
I will not live my life according
To your standardized rules.
I will not break down
I will not give in
I will not
Surrender.

6 comments:

  1. Great poem, this is a wonderful piece that everyone should read to be inspired. You have some great power and wisdom in these words, for certain. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud of you, girl! You are growing into a beautiful, strong person who will bring so much light wherever she is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you made the right decision. Keep your uniqueness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ATTA GIRL!!!
    Love this declaration. Keep it up!

    http://www.kimnelsonwrites.com/2011/05/16/back-off-back-down-black-dog/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bravo!!!!!!!!!!! Good for you. Great read. Gave me goosebumps.

    Henry Clemmons
    http://henryclemmonspoet.blogspot.com/2011/05/surrender-sunday-scribblings.html

    ReplyDelete