Saturday, March 3, 2012

Modern (and Me)

Hi.
My name's Sarah.
I'm seventeen years old,
I don't have a boyfriend,
And I don't want one.

I watch one TV show,
I listen to Elvis, Johnny Cash,
The Doors, The Carpenters,
The Turtles, The Beatles,
And Ray Charles, and I enjoy
Spending time with my parents.

The best Christmas present I
Ever got was a record player,
And I know how to play 45s.
I'd rather read a good book
Than go to prom, and my car
Is a year older than I am.

I'm not afraid to go out
Without makeup, and I
Still feel cool singing in
The car with my mom.

I'd rather go to Branson
Than spend a week in LA,
And most of my closest friends
Were old enough to remember
When JFK was shot.

There's your average, run-of-the-mill
Teenager, the girls who listen to everybody
Else's music, and wears everybody else's
Clothes,
And then there's me.
I may not know how to use an iPhone,
But I'm in pretty good company there.

No comments:

Post a Comment