Saturday, November 12, 2011

Herbie Husker

You were
the first person
to come in all day
and treat me like
a human being.

I wondered after
you left
what made you so
happy, so happy
you glowed with it.

I must admit
I found you quite
Amusing, dressed
like a boy in his father's clothes;
Blue jeans, periwinkle blue
button-up shirt with the sleeves rolled up;
and a bright red tie, loose at the neck, printed
with little pictures
Of Herbie Husker (because who can be proud of Lil Red?)

You laughed while you ordered
almost $40 worth of greasy food
And you bounced on your heels
Waiting for me to hand you
the THREE bulging sacks.

Then you grinned, face ruddy
And young. You laughed at
What I saw as nothing, and were off,
Off to spread your contagious joy
To someone as lucky as I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment